Tuesday, 14 April 2009

UK TV Crisis

So, i have just finished Series 4 of The Wire.

Yes, I know the show has been gone a while now, but please remember The Jobbing Actor has, by definition, not enough cash for a satellite subscription each month. So buying each series on box set after I have finished the last is the cheaper way to go. (Plus then selling it on EBay helps with the wallet)

The point is that whilst this is probably a show that, in my humble opinion, could easily rival The Sopranos as the greatest serial drama in recent years, the question that brings itself to the fore is: what do we have in the UK to rival it?

The answer is: 'Pretty Much Nothing'. Whilst in the comedy sphere we are consistently writing and producing shows appreciated the world over, when it comes to any of our drama's we find ourselves severely underwhelmed and lacking.

Now, like all rants I know that this will get some negative feedback, there are, of course, exceptions.

We are particularly good at one off or 3 or 6 parter dramas (Housewife,49 and The Street to name but two) and we have such wonders as Shameless (brilliant but maybe time at the bar?) but for every Life on Mars, Prime Suspect, Queer as Folk or This Life (all, by the way, long gone) we have a Robin Hood, Hustle, Casualty (I am informed it is NOT a soap) or Midsummer Bloody Murders.

And whilst I am not necessarily a fan of all American serials, you have to agree, surely, that the standard of writing, directing, production values and the majority of acting on say: Brothers and Sisters, Desperate Housewives, Dirty,Sexy Money, Dexter, C.S.I, Law and Order is far superior than the UK and all of these shows are currently being produced.

Even cancelled shows, shows that were considered not good enough for further series were wowing the UK audiences until they were torn from our schedules. 'Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip' as an example. (I don't really need to remind anyone of just how good Aaron Sorkin's previous work 'The West Wing' was).

I could go on and on (and probably have, but it's my blog so stop it) but the fact remains that the UK just can't cut the mustard when it comes to competing.

So where is the problem?

We have proven, brilliant, directors, producers, writers and of course actors.

We have state-of-the-art studios with all the facilities at our disposal that the States have. (Possibly more now the UK is deemed a less expensive country to film in and so more and more Hollywood movies are being produced here.)

Is it just that the TV companies are loathed to spend more on production costs?

Do the establishment (begins with a B ends with a N. Has a easily understood acronym) spend all their cash on period drama's and therefore have nothing left for gritty urban realism?

This is certainly not a new topic and has been brought up time and time again in various discussion forums.

So why is nobody in the studios listening?

In the States, nobody really gives a crap about 'The Young and The Restless', 'Days of Our Lives', 'General Hospital' or 'Horny Sunset' (Last one not strictly true).

They have their followers, just like all shows, they have their own award ceremony's, but they don't come anywhere close to those soaps celebrated in the UK.

And maybe that is the point.

Does Ralph's feud with Brient about the real father of Taffney's baby, whose real dad, yet to be unmasked is actually her own fathers second brother (names and, indeed, plotlines made up to avoid career embarrassment) matter more in this country than what I would consider 'real drama'?

They are certainly being written about and discussed in more magazines and papers than other shows.

People are so into them that actors are being acosted in the street due to their on-screen persona's antics.

Am I just being a patronising snob, casting all manner of aspersions on many shows, loved by millions, who consider that our output of drama on television not only matches that of the US but surpasses it for content and value?

I really don't think I am alone on this one.

But please, let me know what you think, I have to run now, the omnibus edition of 'Paris's Real UK Best Friend' is about to start...

No comments:

Post a Comment